Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Off in Hiding: Before Chancellorsville and After

May 25, 1863


At last! I am able to work, to help my country!

In late March, I was performing in Louisville, Kentucky. Before the play began, Col. Moore approached me and asked me to toast the Confederates! I feared for my life I told him, why would I attempt such a foolish thing? Then he asked me, "Miss Cushman, do you love your country?" I decided to do the exact thing that would brand me a traitor amongst my peers, I would toast the the rebels success.

Thus, I did! What a marvelous thing it was too!

The audience stiffened and my fellow actors stared. However, the colonel was ecstatic. Upon congratulating me, he revealed to me what I now had to do, enter the secret service of the United States and pass information to the Union.

A Spy!!!


I was no where near the battle of Chancellorsville, but I do know that my Union lost. May our troops not give up hope and may we continue to have victories greater than our losses!! Long live the Union!


-Pauline



War of the Rebellion: The Official Records of the Union and the Confederate Armies
Life of Pauline Cushman the Celebrated Union Spy and Scout

3 comments:

  1. You have undertaken a most difficult and dangerous task. I wish you good luck in this endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though the thought of such secrecy angers me, I find your services necessary for our cause. Your help shall be very much appreciated Mrs. Cushman. I wish you the best of luck.

    -W.T. Sherman, Major-General

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and I wish you the best. I do hope you will be able to be safe and help our loyal Union in its endeavors.

    ReplyDelete