Monday, January 26, 2009

Freedom to All: Emancipation Proclamation


Joyous cries are heard around the world as Abraham Lincoln has freed all the slaves from their masters!

The Union it seems is prevailing.
However, I cannot say I support the war any longer. My dear husband Charles passed away while fighting on the front lines, and now my children and I are alone in this world living as I feared on just an actress's salary.

I want to end this war. I do not know how but I will find a way.

-Pauline


War of the Rebellion: The Official Records of the Union and the Confederate Armies
Life of Pauline Cushman the Celebrated Union Spy and Scout

4 comments:

  1. I am truly sorry for your husband, Ms. Cushman. As a soldier of the Union I salute him and all that he has done for this country. I do not agree with your enthusiasm of the emancipation of the slaves. I consider the institution of slavery as viable. However, it is my duty to command and not to pass judgment upon our President.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauline,

    I will like to commend you husband's service to the Union. He has died with honor. As your President, I will protect this country, you, and your children. I will surely end this war and mend it back into the beautiful country it once, and still is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It pains me to voice my beliefs in this time of crisis. I fear that the war has only been inflamed by Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation. From this point onwards, the situation can only progressively spiral and caution is needed at every moment. I wish you luck in ending this bloody conflict and hope that your endeavors do not come to harm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. Your husband did our nation a great service, and we are very grateful for this. However, I know that this cannot be any consolation for you anymore. I hope this war ends soon, for your sake and for the sake of the many women who have lost their husbands and sons while fighting for a just cause in an unfortunate war.

    ReplyDelete